Friday, October 3, 2014

Around the World Blog Hop

Back in August I received an email from Mollie Johanson over at Wild Olive about this Around the World blog hop she wanted to start. It was a no pressure thing but sounded fun so I agreed to do it - when I got home from my vacation. When I returned though, deadlines overwhelmed me and I put it on the back burner more than once.

Towards the end of August, maybe even at the beginning of September, Amy Friend from During Quiet Time emailed me about it and wanted to tag me. I agreed to do it (once again), but a couple of days later my life changed course for the week and my last living grandparent, my Granny, passed away. I completely forgot about it for two more weeks as I went through boxes of tissues. (This is my Grandpop and Granny, and these were some fabrics I remember Granny using for her purses, along with her craft fair tags many many years ago)

I'm still overwhelmed with loss and deadlines - but sometimes it just feels good to get things done that have been on the list the longest. So here goes:

What am I working on?
Kid Giddy wise - I can't really share all the details. Isn't that how it goes in this industry? Everything is a huge secret and when we can finally talk about it - we are already onto the next secret and to us it's old news, but the rest of the world hasn't heard a lick of it and we have to still pump out the excitement. I can say, that I am working on a blog post for a fabric company and catching up on my Etsy thumb cover orders (to help kids stop thumbsucking). The other major thing involves a contract - so that's the one thing I can't share any info on yet.

On a more personal note - I'm finishing up my very first embroidery project, which is one of Heather Bailey's embroidery birds. I'm not sure what I will do with it yet - but I work on it while waiting for my kids and while watching TV. I should probably also finish my cross stitch Woodland Sampler from the Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery - since that was last years new skill/personal project.

I'm also debating the fabrics for another dress I want to make based on this dress - since it's an all time favorite and fits like a glove. It also goes well with my boots - so I need more of them.

How does my work differ from others of its genre?
I started creating patterns because I found many pattern company patterns to be so technical and frustrating. I also had ideas and wanted to get them out of my head. I'm not sure how they differ - that's something someone else has to answer. I sew what I need, what I feel and love, and just go with it. When it works I squeal with happiness and look forward to seeing the reactions from my girls and my husband.

Why do I write/create what I do?
I started blogging as a way to record my ideas and things for my girls. I stopped blogging so much when it started to feel like a competition. Trying to get my voice heard over everyone else's. I'm not like that - I just want to share the things I've learned and the talents God has given me. I don't want it to feel like a rat race. I don't want to feel bad about myself because I am comparing myself to others and their successes. So I scaled back. I also feel like I am suffering from sewist block. It's a horrible disease and I am hoping it goes away soon - it's been around all year. Until then, I'm sewing for fun. I forgot what that was like. It's a huge part of my process now. Sewing for fun in between the deadlines. Try it some time.

How does my writing/creative process work?
Up until last year - I just did what I always do - sew. That's it. Maybe crochet a little...but only in the colder months and not every year. Last year I decided to try something new. I started with Cross Stitching (you know - that woodland sampler that I haven't finished yet). Then this year I wanted to try Embroidery and making some of my own clothes, and some for my girls too. As any good art teacher will tell you (thanks mom), you have to constantly be trying new things. If you go to college for art and you want to major in photography, you won't only be taking photo classes. You still have to take drawing, painting, sculpture and all the others too. I'm trying to go back to my art college roots and explore other creative outlets for inspiration. Somehow they intertwine and I miss that exploring outlet so much. I had a dream last night that I had given someone a bird and a tote bag as a giveaway at some conference, was in a hotel and saw them both in the garbage with the card to the person. I was devastated. Lately I have felt in such a slump, that I'm not surprised I dreamed that my creations were in the garbage - happens easily when someone tears you apart for their own gain. It takes a toll on your psyche. I know they are not garbage, but like I said - it's been a hard year. So I guess I don't have a current writing/creative process so much right now as I used to. Things change and I'm riding the waves. Maybe I have simply forgotten that previous process, or how to trust it, in all the chaos of writing my book, doing such extensive home renovations, and being ripped apart by by a mean person?! Maybe my process will change. Either way I will keep going. That is what an artist does. And deep down, I'm still an artist...in the words of Carrie Bloomston - I'm just drawing with my thread and my fabric. This is why I call myself a sewist.

I have not previously asked anyone to tag, but if they are so willing and would like to do this, I am tagging Kristi from Schnitzel and Boo (who won my Sewing Tales for the Holiday contest), Angie from GnomeAngel (we just swapped some fun packages overseas...for the fun of it), and Maya Donenfeld from Maya*made (we haven't met yet in person, but met through IG...looking forward to that day - she's so sweet). NO pressure ladies - it's just for fun. Thanks Mollie and Amy for asking and tagging me. It's always good to contemplate why I am doing what I'm doing every once in a while.

Thanks for coming by and for reading all the way to the end of this rambling post. xo





http://kidgiddy.us2.list-manage1.com/subscribe?u=9ea4c419178a2e61b529af8aa&id=975aef860e

0 comments :

Post a Comment